Vocalist ~ Educator ~ Author ~ Creativity Consultant
Long regarded one of Southern California's finest jazz vocalists, Karen Gallinger (gal- in- jur) is a performer who blends artistic passion and mastery of her craft into a dynamic and unique package. Her original sense of humor and "casual hipness" (Jazz Now) combine with her interpretive abilities to give her an artistic range that is "stylish and sultry"(O.C. Register) as well as "simply fun and irresistible”(L.A. Weekly)
Besides her musical performance schedule she is an educator and writer. She has been on staff at the prestigious O.C. High School of the Arts, in Santa Ana, California since 2003. In 2010 she was the recipient of a SURDNA Arts Teaching Fellowship. In 2006 & 2008 she was the vocal instructor at Jupanesti Jazz Camp in Romania, funded by The US State Department and the Fulbright organization.
She has taught Workshops, Master Classes & Community Outreach Programs including the “High Life” juvenile rehabilitation program, and classes for the Community Development Block Grant program for inner city schools in Southern California. A former member of the main company of the Orange County Crazies, one of the premiere improvisation troupes in southern California, she also teaches comedy improv and performance skills on staff at the DePietro Theatre.
A gifted composer and lyricist, her lyrics to a number of Bill Evans songs were approved by the Bill Evans Estate and have been recorded by several vocalists. Among the shows Ms. Gallinger has written and performed are "A Tribute to Alan and Marilyn Bergman" and a very impressive multimedia companion show to her "Remembering Bill Evans" recording.
Ms. Gallinger produced and hosted a monthly live series called "Sessions at the Grand Central". The series featured Southern California jazz musicians in an interview, performance and audience Q&A format. Her first book, The Zen of Singing, was published in 2006 by ExecuProv Press; she is currently working on a new book about performance and creativity.
- Live at the Jazz Bakery… Sea Breeze Jazz 1995
- My Foolish Heart … Sea Breeze Jazz 1998
- Remembering Bill Evans … Sea Breeze Jazz 2000
- Kinda Blues … MindsEye Jazz 2004
What the critics are saying:
- "A voice of extraordinary range and quality..." L.A. Weekly
- "An amazing ability to cover boisterous blues and quiet ballads... gathers you into her head as well as her soul ..." Bill Kohlhaase-O.C. Weekly
- "A voice that is nothing short of astonishing" , "Few jazz singers around can match her stylish and sultry singing" - O.C. Register
- “Gallinger has emerged from the trial-by-fire of bar gigs to become a jazz artist of ever blossoming depth, passion and sensitivity. She's been described as having "enough spirit and spark for two singers" ... " the energy of Etta James with her own sassy style" … June 11, 1998 L.A. Times: (O.C. Edition)
- “She can scat with the best on a jump tune, and then elicit tears with a torch song. If you look up "Sultry" in the dictionary, you very well could find a picture of Gallinger. For proof look no further than her new CD, "My Foolish Heart" or her previous effort, "Live at the Jazz Bakery" Both deserve a spot on your shelf - right alongside the work of the biggies." -- Steve Eddy. June, 15, 1998 O.C. Register:
- “She’s got it all ... voice, harmony, rhythm, timing, phrasing, projection, but ... most of all.... soul.” She sings in a bold, yet sensuous style." “An original issue, in both personality and singing…" L.A. Jazz Scene
P.O Box 331 * Monte Rio * Ca * USA 95462 *